Here’s a look at what came in today’s post…
A “Sashiko Furoshiki” with chrysanthemum motif corner stitching, a purple striped cotton panel, and a “Zokin” hand stitched dust rag with blue and white floral print…and of course Volume Seven of Kinfolk Magazine. I’ll probably use the purple striped panel as a scarf and the zonkin as a handkerchief. I haven’t decided what I’m going to use the sashiko furoshiki for yet, but right now, I just enjoy looking at it.
And if you’re interested, here’s a little info on the Japanese textiles I received:
“Japan’s mended and patched textiles are referred to as boro, or ragged, both in Japan and abroad. Boro textiles are usually sewn from nineteenth and early twentieth century rags and patches of indigo dyed cotton. In most cases, the beautiful arrangement of patches and mending stitches is borne of necessity and happenstance, and was not planned by the maker.
“Sashiko is a quilting technique using a running stitch to reinforce and prolong the life of a fabric or to stitch and recycle old pieces of cloth into a new garment. Sashiko created warmer and more durable fabrics for the Japanese farmer who originally used the stitch for practical reasons. Decorative sashiko stitching developed out of this need for warmth and durability and functions to embellish while strengthen the garment or object.”
The indigo dyed boro “furoshiki” panel is traditionally used for wrapping or carrying goods.
“A zokin is a traditional Japanese dust rag which is usually made from several layers of cotton that have been stitched together.” The hand stitched cotton dust rag is traditionally used for various household chores.
- ggreenba likes this
- carpinska reblogged this from caleyhustle
- toweringtextiles reblogged this from caleyhustle and added:
- denimleatherandstyle reblogged this from caleyhustle
- golden-poppy-crafts likes this
- maryjanemucklestone likes this
- danimotown reblogged this from distinguishedcompany
- erwinhinesii reblogged this from distinguishedcompany
- herringbonediary reblogged this from distinguishedcompany
- asenseofaccomplishment likes this
- thepalebook reblogged this from distinguishedcompany
- scribble-scratch likes this
- faoilean reblogged this from distinguishedcompany and added:
- faoilean likes this
- distinguishedcompany reblogged this from caleyhustle
- poftfcript likes this
- iswing likes this
- rosaley likes this
- pressurekids likes this
- somniloquy likes this
- thatkindofwoman likes this
- sex-bom-omb likes this
- caleyhustle posted this